WHAT IS ADVOCACY?
Action for Advocacy’s Advocacy Charter states that:
“Advocacy is taking action to help people say what they want, secure their rights, represent their interests and obtain the services they need. Advocates and advocacy schemes work in partnership with the people they support and take their side. Advocacy promotes social inclusion, equality and social justice.”
WHAT WE DO
The NLMCC provides free, impartial and independent advocacy to residents of Hackney. NLMCC’s Advocacy service is delivered in partnership with a consortium of Hackney based Advocacy providers that is lead by The Advocacy Project.
Our Advocate will help make sure your voice is heard. We will do this by giving you free Information, support and the confidence to speak up for yourself. If you wish, we can also speak up on your behalf.
We will support you face-to-face, over the phone, via email, accompany you to meetings/appointments and visit you at your home to help you;
- RESOLVE YOUR ISSUES – including housing, employment, education, leisure services and community
- RESOLVE DISPUTES – with service providers like GP’s, hospitals, benefits claims, housing providers and others
- UNDERSTAND YOUR RIGHTS AND HELP YOU TO EXERCISE THEM
- ACCESS HEALTH CARE SERVICES – GP’S, hospital etc.
- ACCESS SOCIAL CARE SERVICES – support for carers, home adaptations, counselling, mental health and more
- DIFFERENT LANGUAGES – We provide our services in a number of different languages including Gujarati, Urdu, Hindi, Bengali, Arabic and Turkish
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 2pm
Thursday & Friday 9am – 11.30am
We work closely with other organisations such as Doctors, Hospitals, Schools, Local Councillors, voluntary groups and other advocacy providers.
If your organisation works with people who could benefit from Advice support in a culturally sensitive environment, then please get in touch with us.
Our Advocacy Officer is Hamidah.
If you would like to use our service or just find out more, please contact us on the details below.
You can drop in during our service times at our premises;:
North London Muslim Community Centre
66-68 Cazenove Road
To speak to Hamidah or to make an appointment call on 020 8806 1147 (Extension 2)
You can email Hamidah on firstname.lastname@example.org